Let's Work Together! Call us Now!
(305) 606-6139 | (305) 285-3042

Let's Work Together! Call us Now! (305) 606-6139 | (305) 285-3042

  • Published: April 19, 2023
Decoding Quit claim Deeds

When it comes to buying or transferring property, understanding the various types of deeds is crucial. One common type of deed is the quit claim deed. This blog post will discuss whether a quit claim deed protects a buyer from title issues and if not, what you should do to mitigate potential risks.

The Quitclaim Deed: A Brief Overview

A quit claim deed is a legal instrument used to transfer a grantor’s (property owner) interest in a property to a grantee (recipient) without any warranties or guarantees. These deeds are often utilized for property transfers between family members, divorce settlements, or situations where ownership is unclear.

Title Protection And Quit Claim Deeds: The Reality

Let’s address the million-dollar question: Does a quit claim deed protect you from title issues? The short answer is no. A quit claim deed only transfers the grantor’s interest in the property without any assurances about the title being free from defects, liens, or other encumbrances. In other words, the buyer accepts the property “as is.”

The Impact Of Quit Claim Deeds

To truly grasp the potential implications of quit claim deeds, let’s examine two relatable scenarios:

The Unexpected Inheritance: Your beloved Aunt Betty passes away and leaves you her charming cottage by the lake through a quit claim deed. You’re thrilled but soon discover that Aunt Betty has a significant outstanding mortgage on the property. As the new owner, you are now responsible for this debt, despite being unaware of its existence when you inherited the cottage.

The Contentious Fence: You purchase a quaint suburban home from your friend using a quit claim deed. A few months later, your neighbour claims that your new fence encroaches on their property. As the homeowner, you now face the responsibility of resolving this boundary dispute, which may involve hiring a land surveyor, legal consultations, and potentially relocating the fence.

Protecting Your Interests: Practical Tips

Given the potential risks associated with quitclaim deeds, it’s essential to take steps to safeguard yourself from unforeseen title issues. Here are some practical tips:

  1. Perform a Title Search: Hire a reputable title company or attorney to conduct a comprehensive examination of the property’s records. This search will determine legal ownership and identify any potential issues, such as liens or encumbrances before you accept the quit claim deed.
  2. Secure Title Insurance: Title insurance provides financial protection against losses stemming from title defects, including outstanding liens, public record errors, and fraud. Although it may not prevent all title issues, title insurance can offer financial compensation should any problems arise.
  3. Consider a Warranty Deed: If you’re concerned about potential title issues, request a warranty deed instead of a quit claim deed. A warranty deed includes guarantees from the grantor that the title is clear and free of defects, providing the buyer with a higher level of protection.


While quit claim deeds have their uses, they do not protect buyers from title issues, as they only transfer the property “as is.” By exercising due diligence, obtaining a title search, securing title insurance, or opting for a warranty deed, you can minimize the risk of unexpected problems with the property. If you find yourself grappling with title protection and quitclaim deed concerns like those mentioned in our scenarios, the experienced attorneys at SG Law Group are ready to assist you.

Don’t hesitate to contact our Miami, FL, office at (305) 606-6139 or our Coral Gables, FL, office at (305) 285-3042.

Together, we can guide you through the complexities of property transfers and help you confidently navigate the world of quitclaim deeds, ensuring a secure and successful outcome.

SG Law Group.

Call SG Law Group now for help with complex situations.
Phone: (305) 606-6139 or (305) 285-3042.

Translate »
Accessibility Accessibility
× Accessibility Menu CTRL+U